Monday 27 January 2014

Charlotte Tilbury Review

Hands up if any of you were super excited for the launch of Charlotte Tilbury's own make-up range, and by lucky coincidence was in London on the day of the Selfridges launch anndd got to meet the wonder women herself (my hand's up, if you hadn't guessed).

I didn't actually buy anything at the launch, but I did get to meet Tilbury herself and marvel over the selection of beautiful palettes and lipsticks she had to offer. I found myself with a few favourites that had wound themselves under the tree on Christmas morning - The Sophisticate Palette, and a Lip Lustre in Red Vixen.

First impressions? Absolutely love them. Though the excitement of unwrapping presents really masked the fact that once I tried them out, I was disappointed to the max. Here's why:


The Sophisticate Palette £38


(From left-to-right, Prime, Enhance, Pop, Smoke)

I'm not disappointed with the palette as much as I am the Lip Lustre. The four lovely neutral, matte shades are as pigmented as promised and stay on quite well throughout the day, but I just find the packaging to look a bit cheap and flimsy, and that really is a make-or-break for me. The real problem is, I picked it mainly for the versatility factor that this could be toned down for a day look or I could rock it in the evening too, but I just don't use it at all. Maybe I'll fall in-love with it soon, as it is a gorgeous palette, but until then, £38 seems rather extravagant.

Lip Lustre, Red Vixen £16




Now this product I have serious issues with, for several reasons. 1. The packaging to me seems cheap again, and the gold is already starting to get scratched and smudged - maybe this doesn't bother someone people as much. 2. When first applied its amazingly pigmented and glossy blood red colour, but after a very short while it needs reapplying, and no matter what I do, or how much I line my lips, blot my lipstick and all that, it just does not stay. It's also incredibly sticky and bleeds like crazy. 3. It's expensive.  I already feel cheated out of MAC charging £15 for a lipstick, but at least it's good quality! I've tried better lip lacquers on the high street, sorry Tilbury. 

I am extremely grateful to have received these as presents, please do not get me wrong. This is just an honest opinion and I didn't want to tell you that I loved them and misinform you. I would maybe purchase another of the palettes if I was treating myself as they are good quality colours, but I wouldn't purchase another Lip Lustre.

Please remember to always take reviews with a pinch of salt and read plenty if in doubt - what works for some, doesn't work for others.

Kay xo

No comments:

Post a Comment